Cabinet refinishing is an affordable way to make your old cabinets look like new. It involves refinishing the doors or faces of your cabinets. The existing finish is stripped through the use of chemical remover, sanding or a combination of the two. The surface is then stained or painted in the desired colour. Another option is to glaze the grain and spray a special stain over top of the existing clear coat to achieve the desired colour and then clear coat again with lacquer or varnish. This process is called shading. With both methods, you can reuse the handles and hinges or swap them out for a whole new look. You end up with a kitchen that looks and feels fresh; free of nicks, chips, cracks, dents, cuts, gouges and stains.
Why not just replace your cabinets?
Replacing cabinets involves buying entire new cabinet frames, shelves, fittings and wall mounts. It’s a huge job and quite expensive. When you refinish cabinets, you’re working with the existing framework and just refinishing the doors. This provides a whole new look for far less cost and much less work.
How do you know it’s time to refinish your cabinets?
The best timing for refinishing your cabinets will vary from home to home and family to family. The most common times to refurbish cabinets are:
- When your cabinets show wear: Are your kitchen cabinets looking run down? Have your cupboard doors lost their shine? Are you tired of keeping your dishes in cabinets that look shabby? Are you embarrassed when entertaining guests because of the state of your kitchen? If the answer’s a resounding yes, it’s time to think about refinishing your worn cupboards. Updating your cabinets can give them a fresh, new look that you’ll be proud to show off when you’re entertaining.
- When you want a new look for your kitchen: Is your kitchen in need of an update? Tired of that 90’s look? Refinishing your cabinets gives you a fresh, updated look at a manageable cost. Whether you desire a classic, contemporary or modern look for your kitchen, refinishing your cabinets can help you achieve your goals.
- When you want to strengthen the heart of your home: A kitchen is more than a place to cook. For many families, it is the heart of the home, the centrepiece and a gathering place. Refinishing your cabinets adds style, functionality and comfort to the best-used room in your house. It provides tender care to the space your family values most.
Advantages of refinishing rather than replacing cabinets:
When your cabinets are showing wear, your kitchen needs an update and/or you wish to add shine to the heart of your home, refinishing your cabinets:
- Saves you time: The refinishing process can be done in a matter of days, letting you quickly get back to using your kitchen. Replacing cabinets can take weeks and is disruptive to your home.
- Provides durability: The types of products used in cabinet painting and refinishing are the same as factory coatings. They achieve similar performance and durability.
- Causes less stress: Replacement requires emptying the cabinets of all contents, removing the old cabinets, taking new measurements, choosing cabinets and hardware, attaching them to your walls and making sure they are level. Refinishing is quicker and easier making the overall experience less stressful.
- Increases your home’s value: Refinishing gives outdated cabinets a facelift, making your kitchen more visually appealing and increasing the value of your home. For the best return on your investment, hire a reliable painting company to handle the work. They’ll ensure a smooth, professional, attractive finish.
- Allows lots of options: Refinishing does not reduce your options. Paint and stain are available in a range of colours, from classic black or white to bright modern hues. You can opt for an acrylic or foil finish. Consider a weathered or antique look. The choices are numerous.
- Is eco-friendly: Replacing cabinets creates a significant amount of waste that ends up in the landfill. Reduce your carbon footprint by refinishing your existing cabinets. It’s an eco-friendly way to refresh your kitchen.
Are your kitchen cabinets looking worn? Need a change of colour or style? Want the kitchen of your dreams without the mess, disruption and cost? Consider getting your existing cabinets refinished. It will save you time, money and stress while providing a whole new look for your room. Call a local painting company for help and your cabinets will soon look like new.
Looking for a painting company that can quickly and affordably refinish your kitchen cabinets? Call the Calgary painting experts, Cal Res Coatings at (403) 917-0556. We’re a residential painting contractor that strives for quality, has an eye for detail and colour, and will not rest until your job is done to your satisfaction. Request a free quote today.