Are you tired of the colour palette in your space? Do you wish to refresh your house before listing it for sale? Is the paint on your home’s interior/exterior faded and worn? There are many reasons to repaint your home. Should you make this task a DIY project or is it best to hire professional painters? The following are some pros and cons associated with each option.
The pros of painting your own home:
- Cost savings: The most common reason for painting your own home is to save money. Though it’s possible to save on labour costs, remember to factor in the cost of high-quality paint and tools. Also, consider what your time is worth.
- A learning experience: For the adventurous sort, painting your own home may be a great learning opportunity. Make sure you take the time to research the best paint, tools and techniques. Don’t forget to study the preparation requirements. There’s a lot to know!
- Control: When you paint your home you are in charge of everything, including the time, pace, product and method. A DIY job saves you the hassle of explaining your needs to a residential painter.
- Fun: For some folks, DIY projects are fun, therapeutic and satisfying. They take your mind off your daily stressors. Inviting family and friends to help may increase the enjoyment.
- Flexibility: When you undertake the task of painting your home, you have the option to go room by room, as your time and budget allow. If you’re not in a hurry, the DIY approach may work well.
The cons of painting your own home:
- Quality: Inadequate training and/or experience means that your brush strokes and/or techniques may be subpar and your outcome imperfect. Uneven coats of paint and mismatched spots are possible. A reliable residential painter provides a polished, professional job that makes your home shine.
- Clean up: During a DIY painting project, lack of experience and/or technique means drips and spills are inevitable. Splashes on furniture and floor coverings are probable. A professional painter knows how to protect items and cleans all mishaps they may make.
- Preparation work: It takes knowledge, time and attention to detail to prepare the exterior/interior of your home for a new coat of paint. Skimping on prep work negatively affects the final product. Hiring a reliable residential painter ensures that preparation work is done correctly and efficiently.
- Time: Painting your home is a big job that takes a lot of time! You may not be able to finish it in a single weekend and/or work and family responsibilities may slow the project. Hiring a painting contractor ensures the work is finished in the allotted time.
- Possibility of repainting: If you don’t undergo proper preparation, choose the wrong paint and/or fail to allow the paint to completely dry between coats, there may be a need to repaint all or portions of your home. A professional residential painter gets it done right the first time.
If you’re torn between painting your home yourself and hiring residential painters, take a deep breath and carefully consider the pros and cons of this potential DIY project. Do you have the knowledge and experience to do a quality job? Do you understand the different paint qualities and sheens? Are you proficient at choosing a colour palette? Do you have the tools you need to complete the job effectively? Do you have the time to dedicate to the task and the stamina for the preparation and clean up? If you answer no to any of these questions, contact a professional residential painter and let them help you with this massive, complex task. They provide a quality paint job that will last a long time. They can even assist with colour choices.
Not up to the task of painting your own home? Want a paint job that looks great for a long time? Need the help of a professional residential painting company? Call the Calgary residential painting experts, Cal Res Coatings at (403) 917-0556. We have experience with exterior and interior painting. We’re a residential painting contractor that strives for quality, has an eye for detail and colour, and will not rest until your job is done to your satisfaction. Request a free quote today.