After a turbulent year, it’s time to look forward to a fresh start and new opportunities in 2022. Each year, paint companies and colour experts reveal their picks for the shade that best captures the feel of the current period. They draw on trends in pop culture, fashion, technology, and design from around the world. The theme for 2022 seems to be fresh starts, nature and rebirth. The following are the 2022 colour trends chosen by a variety of prominent paint companies.
- Benjamin Moore’s pick for the 2022 colour of the year is a soft, silvery-green called October Mist 1495. This botanical shade mimics the pale green of a flower stem and serves as the foundation for the brand’s larger 2022 colour trends palette. This gentle shade of sage quietly anchors a space, while encouraging individual expression through colour. It creates a blank canvas for other colours to blossom!
- Farrow and Ball have chosen five colours as their 2022 colour trends. They’re familiar hues that give your home a comforting look. This eclectic mix of the pure and humble evokes the warmth and harmony of an innocent age while celebrating life today.
- Babouche No. 233, a lovely yellow colour, brings sunshine into your home. Though bright and bold, it won’t overpower your space. It’s the perfect hue for a large room.
- School House White No. 291, a soft off-white, creates timeless inviting rooms. Its old-fashioned look works beautifully in traditional style interiors or combines with brighter colours for a modern two-tone look.
- Breakfast Room Green No. 81, a warmer tint than most greens, remains lively throughout the changing light of day. Apply this bright, cheery hue to walls and trim for a refreshing, happy feel.
- Stone Blue No. 86 is a classic blue that complements vintage and contemporary design.
- Incarnadine No. 248 is a rich, strong crimson that blends well with black or navy resulting in a sumptuous look. Try it with bright white for a punchy, graphic effect or use it with gold accents and/or wood tones for an intense look.
- Dulux’s colour of the year is Bright Skies, a light blue paint that brings a breath of fresh air. It’ll add a light, invigorating note to your home. This optimistic blue is good for the soul and will open up and revitalize your space. Reminiscent of a clear sky, this gentle blue reminds us to be optimistic. Consider using this hue in small or narrow spaces and/or in your home office. It’ll make your room feel more spacious and aid concentration.
- Dunn-Edwards’ colour of the year, Art and Craft DET682, is a warm, earthy shade with a back-to-nature feel and cozy, comfortable sense. This soft, sophisticated brown signifies stability, peace, comfort and calm, resulting in a grounding feel. Use it in living areas, dining rooms and bedrooms for an inviting touch. Pair it with chocolatey brown for a bright result or opt for vibrant jewel tones to create a feeling of calm and luxury.
- Sherwin-Williams soothing Evergreen Fog SW 9130 is a mid-tone grey-green. It’s a sophisticated hue that makes a subtle but stunning statement, inspiring us to begin again. Evergreen Fog is a great choice for modern interiors and exteriors. This organic colour brings a welcoming feel to entryways, a quiet calm to bedrooms and bathrooms and a restorative energy to living rooms, kitchen and common areas. Complement this shade with warm earthy neutrals, then bring in layers of texture with natural materials (wood, leather, jute, and rattan). For a polished look, pair it with warm brass, light gold, or matte black.
- Valspar has curated a palette of 12 nature-inspired hues that represent our craving for comfort and calm (Blanched Thyme, Gilded Linen, Delightful Moon, Lilac Lane, Mountain River, Orchid Ash, Grey Suit, Subtle Peach, Rustic Oak, Sunset Curtains, Country Charm, Fired Earth). Warm neutrals, dusty pastels and soothing blues and greens were selected for their ties to nature and their ability to foster a peaceful, optimistic mindset. Valspar’s 2022 Colours of the Year provide consumers with a wide range of naturally based warm colours that will help calm the nerves and boost the mood while providing confidence in what the future may hold. Incorporate these trending shades into your home on walls, cabinetry, trim and more.
- Glidden’s colour of the year is a zingy shade called Guacamole PPG1121-5. This ripe avocado-green delivers a crowd-pleasing colour that’s both relaxing and refreshing. Pair it with classic white subway tile and matte black accents for a timeless mix in kitchens and bathrooms. Try it with light wood tones in living areas, home offices and bedrooms for a calming, organic vibe.
- Behr’s 2022 colour of the year is a cool, refreshing shade of green called Breezeway MQ3-21. This soft, silvery blue-green is reminiscent of sea glass found along sandy beaches and the crystal-clear water of a tucked-away bay. Breezeway brings a feeling of tranquillity, but its crisp brightness can also inspire energy and liveliness. It’s a colour that evokes a hopeful sense of renewal, restoration and healing. Pair it with bright white and/or jet-black accents for an entryway or kitchen. Try this light dusty green with soft cream, warm taupe and/or wood tones for a soothing peaceful vibe that’s great for bedrooms, bathrooms and living areas. This breezy colour blends well with contemporary and vintage-inspired designs.
- PPG selected a soft, organic shade of green called Olive Sprig PPG1125-4 as its 2022 colour of the year. This gray-green hue, reminiscent of a soothing aloe plant or velvety sage leaves, represents regrowth and resiliency. Its lush mid-tone shade is familiar, grounding and versatile. Use it to encourage focus in an office, incorporate soothing colour into a bathroom or promote restfulness in a bedroom. It looks great on kitchen cabinetry, enhanced with polished brass accents. Pair it with natural materials and textures (rich leather upholstery, woven jute rugs, wood furniture).
Colour plays a huge role in how we live within our homes. The colours we thoughtfully select for our walls, furniture and cabinetry serve as the backdrop to our everyday lives. More than purely decorative, colour is emotive, changing how we feel in our personal sanctuary. Driven by our need for calm, regrowth, and rejuvenation, 2022 will be a year of colours that soothe. Use the 2022 colours of the year to help you look forward to a fresh start and to add more colour to your life. Try some of the many warm, calming shades and ensure that you relax and feel good at home. Take into account your personal style and the space in which you will apply the colours. Have fun with the colour trends of 2022!
Interested in trying some of the 2022 colour trends in your home? Call the Calgary painting experts, Cal Res Coatings at (403) 835-4817. We’re a residential painting contractor that strives for quality, has an eye for detail and colour, and will not rest until your job is done to your satisfaction. Request a free quote today.