Your home is exposed to rain, wind, sun, frost, snow and even hail. These conditions cause wear and tear on your paint, leading to chipping, cracking, flaking, blistering and the growth of mould and mildew. To protect your investment and maintain a vibrant appearance, you need to apply a coat of protection, a new coat of paint. When is it time to add a fresh coat of paint to the exterior of your home? How often should you repaint?
There is no set timeline for repainting all homes. The average time between painting applications on the exterior of a home is every 5 to 10 years. How often the exterior of your home requires new paint depends on variables such as location, climate, surface type, quality of paint used and level of maintenance.
- Surface type: How often you need to repaint your home’s exterior is affected by its finished surface.
- Wood siding requires repainting approximately every 3-7 years or every 4 years if it’s stained.
- Aluminum siding needs to be painted about every 5 years.
- Stucco should be repainted every 5-6 years.
- Cement fiberboard siding can go 10-15 years before needing repainting.
- Painted brick can last 15-20 years.
- Location: Exterior paint is affected by climate. Coastal homes exposed to intense sun, salty air and sand may need to be repainted every 2 years. Dwellings exposed to humid summers and cold winters require recoating every 5 to 7 years. Ask your residential painting contractor how often repainting is required in your area.
- Paint used: The higher the quality of paint used, the longer it will last. Durable, long-lasting, acrylic exterior paints are best for siding made from wood, aluminum or fibre cement. They also work well to cover stucco. This paint is flexible and able to withstand fading from the sun and damage from rain and other elements. When painting brick, use mineral-based paint or silicate paint that’s breathable and has a high level of elasticity.
- Maintenance: Simple maintenance tasks (washing, and removing moss/mildew/mould) help to prolong the life of your exterior paint.
How do I know when it is time to repaint the exterior of my home?
There are a number of signs that indicate it is time to recoat your home’s exterior.
- Cracking, peeling, or chipping paint indicates that the elements have taken a toll and the underlying materials of your home are no longer protected. This could lead to mould, mildew or dry rot. Take action immediately!
- Cracking caulk indicates that the substance is no longer doing its job. Caulk is used to seal joints and make a paint job look better and last longer. If your caulk is wearing, it’s time to paint and refresh your caulk.
- Fading paint: After years of exposure to rain, snow and sunlight, your exterior paint will fade. This bleached, washed-out look is a sign that your paint is no longer providing full protection for your home.
- Gaps between the boards of your home are evidence that moisture is getting into the wood. This can lead to mould, mildew and/or dry rot. Repairs followed by a fresh coat of paint will protect the wood and prevent further damage.
- Damaged stucco indicates a need for repairs and fresh paint to ensure your home is properly protected from the elements.
- Water stains may be signs of deeper damage. Some stains may simply be painted over, but others indicate the need to replace the material and apply paint for protection.
- Deep cracks and/or soft spots signal rot and require repair and repainting.
- Black or grey spots indicate you have mildew, mould or algae. Clean and repaint to protect your home.
- Bare wood peeking through the paint is a signal to get out the paintbrushes and upgrade your paint job. You want the paint colour to be uniform on every inch of your house to ensure maximum protection.
Paint protects your home from harsh weather and prevents the structure from deteriorating. Watch closely for the signs that your home needs a fresh coat of exterior paint. If you’re not sure if it’s time to repaint, contact a local painting contractor. They’ll assess the need for new paint and can supply quality products and expert skills to help you with the painting project. Adding a new coat of paint will rejuvenate the look of your home and provide protection from the elements.
Is it time to repaint your exterior walls? Looking for a company that will provide a quality paint job for your home’s exterior? Call the Calgary residential painting experts, Cal Res Coatings at (403) 917-0576. We’re a residential painting contractor that strives for quality, has an eye for detail and colour, and will not rest until your job is done to your satisfaction. Request a free quote today.