After a long, hectic day it’s a delight to retreat to a calm, mellow bedroom for some rest and relaxation. With a little paint and some attention to detail, your bedroom can become a personal sanctuary, a cozy retreat from your chaotic life. Paint is a quick and inexpensive way to enhance the mood of a space and provide a fresh backdrop for your furnishings.
Considerations when painting a bedroom:
When choosing paint colours for your bedroom there are a number of things to contemplate.
- Consider subtle hues: Choose soothing shades (blue, lavender, or green) to create a calm and serene space. Jewel tones (toasty brown, deep pomegranate, or topaz) create coziness.
- Go for a monochromatic look: Try covering your room in a single hue to create a cozy feel. Add definition by applying a slightly darker tone to the trim.
- Create a romantic mood: If you’re looking for an intimate feel, create an oasis for you and your partner with darker, warmer colours that excite the mind and body. A deep shade of red (burgundy or deep ruby) can spark passion and encourage optimism. Accents of brown (caramel or chocolate) will evoke feelings of warmth, comfort and security.
- Boost your spirits: Need energy in the morning? To promote cheer and increase vitality, go for a warm colour in a bright shade (gold, honey, peach, terra cotta).
- Don’t forget the fifth wall: Painting the ceiling is an easy way to transform the ambiance of your bedroom. Add a subtle pattern or soft colour. Try a lighter version of the hue on the walls. Consider a decorative paint treatment to bring a feeling of comfort and intimacy.
- If your bedroom is small: Off-white and light gray are good choices for a small bedroom as they help open up a space, making it feel larger. Strategically position mirrors and play with your lighting to enhance the feeling of roominess.
- Two-tone painting: If your bedroom seems dim, consider painting the wall opposite your bedroom window a lighter shade of your preferred colour to reflect light, brightening your space. If your room is too bright, paint this wall a darker shade to absorb light, allowing you to sleep better.
Colours choices that enhance a bedroom:
Colour affects our emotional state and can be consciously used to create a refuge from the frantic pace of life. The following paint colours are great for generating the peaceful bedroom you seek.
- Gray is calm, serene and sophisticated and makes other colours sing. Solid gray feels strong while soft gray has a delicate feel. This hue is versatile, matching beautifully with natural or honey oak wood floors. Consider cloud gray, ecru, and fawn for a soft and inviting bedroom.
- Blue is relaxing, soothing and calming; reducing blood pressure, slowing respiration and decreasing heart rate. Try blues with warm muted tones in your bedroom to create an atmosphere that oozes tranquillity.
- Green is a restful colour and has a calming effect, helping people relax and unwind. It promotes comfort and togetherness and is well-suited for a bedroom. Mix green with wood tones for an organic, natural feel.
- White: A classic, creamy white is an incredible colour for a bedroom. Versatile and tranquil, the warmth of this shade creates a cozy environment. Pair it with dark or medium wood floors, a flat-toned ceiling and semi-gloss trim. Steer clear of pure, stark white as it can make the room feel cold and sterile.
- Brown/beige makes us feel cozy, welcome, secure, grounded and content. It’s associated with resilience, dependability, security, and safety. This hue is analogous to nature and, when paired with green, lends a rustic feel perfect for a relaxing bedroom environment.
- Light purple walls create a sense of relaxation, authenticity and freedom. This shade helps create a rejuvenating space. Lighter shades of violet are perfect for bedrooms, encouraging calm and contemplation.
Even a small change to your bedroom can make a huge difference! Carefully chosen and applied paint can enhance your mood, create a feeling of space and turn your bedroom into a refuge from the world. Not a DIY person? Contact your local paint contractor. They have the knowledge, skill and experience to help you create the look and atmosphere you desire.
Need help transforming your bedroom into a personal retreat? Call the Calgary residential painting experts, Cal Res Coatings at (403) 917-0556. We’re a residential painting contractor that strives for quality, has an eye for detail and colour, and will not rest until your job is done to your satisfaction. Request a free quote today.